Reblogged from ralphmelish
Truman reconstruction of the White House, 1949–1952, a steel structure is built within the exterior shell.
While the house’s structure was kept intact by the Truman reconstruction, much of the new interior finishes were generic, and of little historic value. Much of the original plasterwork, some dating back to the 1814–1816 rebuilding, was too damaged to reinstall, as was the original robust Beaux Arts paneling in the East Room.
The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development headquarters (Robert C. Weaver Federal Building) located at 451 7th Street, SW in the Southwest Federal Center neighborhood of Washington, D.C. The Modernist building was designed by Marcel Breuer.
The “Blue Castle” located at 770 M Street, SE in the Navy Yard neighborhood of Washington, D.C. Designed by architect Walter C. Root in 1891, the Romanesque Revival building was originally known as the Washington and Georgetown Railroad Car House (commonly referred to as the Navy Yard Car Barn). It is situated directly across the street from the Washington Navy Yard’s Latrobe Gate.
Woodward & Lothrop store in Washington, D.C. circa 1910s